Animal Health Certificates
Travelling to an EU Country or Northern Ireland
Animal Health Certificates (AHCs) replace Pet Passports for non-commercial movements of pet dogs, cats and ferrets to the EU (European Union). They are also required for non-commercial movements to Northern Ireland.
In order to use an Animal Health Certificate for travel to the EU or Northern Ireland your pet must either be travelling with you, or must travel within five days of your departure. If this is not the case then different export documentation will be required. Your pet must have received a valid rabies vaccination at least 21 days prior to the date of travel, and the AHC is valid for a single entry into the EU or Northern Ireland within 10 days of signing. Learn more about pet travel requirements for the EU & Northern Ireland.
So that we can book you a pet travel appointment, we require the following pre-appointment information:
1. Please complete the form below. Alternatively, you can download a copy of the form here and email it to us – see no.2
2. Please email the following to email@example.com and put in the subject line: your surname, pet name(s) and destination:
- Evidence of date of microchipping (if available)
- Evidence of your pet’s rabies vaccination. Suitable evidence includes:
- A Pet Passport (for vaccines administered prior to 1st January 2021). Please include Sections I to V of the Passport (pages 4 to 8) and ensure the passport serial number is visible at the bottom of each page.
- A rabies vaccination card or certificate, showing the date of vaccination, vaccine details, and that the microchip was read prior to administering the vaccine.
You must also bring these original documents to your appointment; without original documents we will be unable to issue a certificate.
Further information on travelling abroad with your pet can be obtained from the Government’s Pet Travel Scheme helpline: 0370 241 1710 (8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday) or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Once we have received your completed form and the supporting evidence below, we will contact you to book your pet travel appointment.
AHC pre-appointment form